Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yogurt Pancakes with Blueberries

I have learned two things this week so far. The first being that pistachios are irresistible. I've eaten a lot. I mean A LOT. The second, that nobody what, I am NOT a photographer. My pictures come out the same rather I take them with my phone, my cheap pink camera, or with my friend's thousand dollar camera that does everything but aim itself. I give up. You'll have to deal with my inability to take pictures. At least my finger isn't in the picture. Thats a plus.


This morning's adventure? Pancakes when there is no milk in the house. I substituted yogurt in place of the milk. I was very doubtful at first. The pancake batter was very thick.



I put two spoonfuls in the skillet. It looked like I just put two spoonfuls of biscuit mix in my skillet. I had to spread the pancake with the spoon. It puffed up nicely though.


Then I went to turn it....that was tricky. The batter melted. The pancake ran off the side of the spatula. My skillet ended up with pancake batter cooked to the sides. What a mess!

But you know what? It tasted delicious! It has that wonderful, melt in your mouth texture that is so comforting when you're forced awake earlier than you'd like by the obnoxious alarm clock that didn't get set correctly.


Then I had to add blueberries to it. What's a comforting pancake without blueberries?


The end result was a not-so-attractive mess where the juice from my frozen blueberries swirled into my batter. It wasn't the prettiest pancake, but oh my did it taste heavenly!



Yogurt Pancakes-With Blueberries
1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Dash Salt
1 Egg
1 C Vanilla Yogurt (or Plain and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
3 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
1/2 C Blueberries, thawed if frozen

Put a skillet on to heat over medium low heat. Slow cooking these pancakes helps them to set up.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Stir in egg and yogurt. Mix well. Stir in cooled butter. Fold in blueberries.

Cook 1 pancake at a time in your skillet as these spread as they warm up. Make sure your skillet is warm and well greased. Cook pancake until bubbly on top. Mine never set up on the edges, so I had to check the bottom multiple times to make sure it was appropriately browned. Turn carefully and cook until both sides are golden brown.

Serves 2.

No comments :

Post a Comment