Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I went away for the weekend, completely neglecting the fact that I had a one pound package of strawberries still hiding in the fridge. How could I forget about such a wonderful little delicious treat?

I was very disappointed in myself.

I came home to find still edible, but very soft, not so pretty berries waiting on me. I had two choices toss them or figure out what to do with them that would accept their not-so-perfect condition.

I had to make a trip to the store for the basics anyways and they happened to have strawberries on sale, so I picked up another one pound container of *fresh* berries that were still pretty and decided I needed a strawberry pie.


Yummy! Half of it disappeared within 12 hours of making it. I live alone. Oops, maybe I pigged out just a bit.


Fresh Strawberry Pie
2 lbs fresh strawberries (or more for a 10inch pie pan)
3/4 C Water (divided)
3/4 C Sugar (or more if your berries are tart)
3 Tbs Cornstarch
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 pre-baked 9inch pie crust


Arrange your best looking berries in your pre-baked crust.



Cut up remaining strawberries. (I just cut most of mine in half.) Add to a medium sauce pan, along with sugar, and 1/2 cup of water.



Bring to a boil over medium heat. Smashing berries as you go. Simmer for 15 minutes or until berries are easily smashed and sugar is dissolved.

Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup of water. Stir into smashed strawberry mixture. Cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in vanilla extract.



Pour over the berries in the pie crust. The hot mixture will soften the other berries. Allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Serve chilled with whipped cream.

No comments :

Post a Comment