Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Cold Morning and Masala Chai.....

I feel like I am in slow motion this morning. Time is in even slower-motion. It does not help that I woke up extra early and went to sleep extra late last night.

After crawling out from under the cat that was nestled on my feet and receiving only minor scratches from disrupting her sleep, I made my way into the kitchen.

I fell asleep last night, leaving all the windows open, allowing rather chilly 58 degree air into my house. It was definitely a great morning for a hot breakfast and a hot cup of masala chai, better known in the USA as "chai tea".

Anywho...the tea reminded of a recipe I saw on Baking Serendipity. So I set off this morning to create this lovely recipe for chai pancakes.


Chai-Spiced Chocolate Chip Pancakes
1 C All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Dash Salt
2 Tbs Chai Spiced Instant Tea (or 1 K-Cup of Chai Latte by Cafe Escapes)
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 C Milk
1/3 C Chocolate Chips

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and tea mix. You can buy a small canister of the tea mix at most Wal-Mart stores. Get the instant mix that you either just add milk or water to.

Add in the egg, vanilla and milk. Whisk together well. Fold in the chocolate chips.


Cook in a lightly greased skillet over medium-low heat. Flip when the bottom is browned and the edges are set. My pancakes formed very few bubbles on the surface to indicate it being ready to turn.


My pancakes actually puffed so much in the center, it cracked on the top! (Hard to see in the picture but it did.) I've never had that happen in 15 years of making pancakes. They were absolutely the most wonderfully spiced, fluffy pancakes. Love them!

No comments :

Post a Comment