Friday, May 13, 2011

Cornmeal Molasses Pancakes

Hello. I'm Sarah. I have a problem. I'm addicted to pancakes.

I swear, I really do eat other foods. I even take pictures of the stuff I make. It just never seems to make its way onto here.

I guess I should work on that. Maybe this weekend I'll post something non-pancake.

I recently discovered Joy the Baker's Blog. She has tons of great recipes.

Joy was my inspiration for my breakfast this morning.

Cornmeal Molasses Pancakes with Blueberries


I love fruit in my pancakes. Blueberries happens to be what is in the freezer at the moment so they are getting used a lot.

1/2 C Cornmeal
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Dash salt
3 Tbs Molasses
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
3 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted (if you use salted, leave out the salt)
1 C Buttermilk

I'm lazy, I hate doing dishes, so I rarely use more than a bowl, a spoon, a skillet, and a spatula when cooking pancakes. If you've made as many as I have, it is not hard to skip the measuring steps. If not, at least I can tell you how to save on using extra bowls to whisk, sift, and otherwise combine wet and dry ingredients.

Begin with a medium sized mixing bowl, toss in all the dry ingredients. (Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.) Stir these together with a spoon or whisk.

Make a "well" in the center. Otherwords, push all the floury stuff to the sides of the bowl. Crack the egg into this void. Poke at the egg with the spoon or whisk to break the yolk. Stir it around a little bit trying to avoid the flour mixture as much as possible.

Add the molasses, vanilla, and melted butter into this "well" also. Then start whisking the entire mixture together. Add the buttermilk in several parts. This helps to eliminate the lumps in the batter.

Allow the batter to set for a few minutes so that the acidity of the buttermilk can react with the baking soda and baking powder and make the batter fluff up. (I folded in a generous 1/2 C of blueberries before allowing the batter to rest.)

Cook these pancakes in a well-greased, pre-heated skillet over a low-medium heat. The moisture of the molasses causes these pancakes to cook slower and if the heat is too high you'll scorch the bottoms before they are set up enough to turn.

No comments :

Post a Comment