Monday, May 30, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes

A quick trip to the grocery to return a RedBox movie rental and pick up some lettuce for a salad, I came across rhubarb. The first signs that summer is almost here!


The possibilities are almost endless on what to do with it. But I like to be different. Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie. Raspberry Rhubarb Muffins. Dessert Bars. Oatmeal-Rhubarb Squares. The list goes on...

When in doubt, turn to Google. I love Google. Everything you want in a few simple clicks. Well almost everything. Breakfast dishes using this wonderful vegetable are extremely limited.

I found lot of recipes for rhubarb syrups to pour over my beloved breakfast dish. Is it because vegetables in a breakfast pancake just sounds weird? Is that why nobody has done this? I was greatly disappointed at the lack of results Google showed me.

I found Allotment 2 Kitchen's Recipe but didn't want to mess with cooking the rhubarb first. I'm a simple kind of girl. I don't like a lot of steps. Especially first thing in the morning. It's simply not possible to follow a recipe with multiple steps before my coffee has taken effect. I'm a throw it in a bowl and stir type of breakfast person. Save the detailed things for brunch.

Further searching resulted in flavorless a baked pancake with chunks of rhubarb. It didn't impress me.

This brought me to my question, how can there be almost no recipes for a rhubarb pancake? I decided I needed to correct this problem. So here it is....



Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Dash Salt
2 Tbs  Sugar
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3/4 C Milk
1 Egg
2 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Strawberries, diced
1/2 C Rhubarb, finely diced-saves you from cooking it first to make it tender


In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Whisk in milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.



Cook over medium heat in a lightly greased skillet or griddle. When bubbles begin to form one the surface and bottom is golden brown. Turn and cook on second side until golden.

**If your rhubarb is exceptionally tough, use the butter and sugar from the recipe to first saute it until tender. Allow to cool to room temperature and then stir into the batter before adding the strawberries. **

Serves 2. 

No comments :

Post a Comment