Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Latte

I walked into work on September 4th and over half my coworkers were carrying around Starbucks coffee cups, sipping on a pumpkin spice latte. I, however, refuse to indulge in a "fall treat" when it is 79 degrees outside and not a single leaf has fallen from the trees. Maybe if I still lived in Ohio where it was in the 50's a few weeks ago I'd have indulged in this wonderful treat, wait...no I wouldn't. I am just not a fan of Starbucks. I have never acquired a taste for their coffee in general. Also, I am poor, I cannot afford $5 drinks. I am much happier making my own coffee drinks. Plus I know exactly what goes into it. 



Even Starbucks employees do not know what goes into their coffees because things come out of  bags and boxes. (You can read about it here.) 

Whatever goes into a Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte, I can copy it and then I know exactly what goes into my drink. 


I have tried multiple versions offered online for this popular drink. This happens to be my favorite, even though the spices and pumpkin tend to settle a little in the bottom of the cup. Not ideal, but worth skipping that last sip for the absolute yumminess of this latte.

Pumpkin Spice Latte
(makes 1 cup)
½ cup milk
1 tbsp. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. light brown sugar
¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Stir together in a large measuring cup. Microwave until steaming. Using a whisk or stick blender, whip until frothy.

1 cup strong brewed coffee
2 tbsp. half and half
Sugar to taste

Stir frothy milk into coffee. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.



No comments :

Post a Comment