Friday, September 13, 2013

Sweet 'n' Sour Smoked Sausage

It's been a long week. Remind me next time my phone rings on my day off that I should not answer it. It will only be bad news or somebody begging for a favor. Like being called into work on my day off. In return for working almost a full shift on my day off, I got to only work half a day. Leaving early on a Friday? Start my weekend early? Hell yeah!

The only thing that would have made today better would have been to avoid the four-year old class, who thought flushing random things was a good idea. But I didn't have to clean up the mess so I cannot complain too much. Except that my shoes got wet walking down the hallway. 

At least today ended early and I got to spend this beautiful day relaxing on my deck with a good book. My desire to relax and do nothing carried over into my dinner. 

This is a recipe that I saw in a Kroger advertisement a few months ago. I had put off trying it, not really sure why. It is nothing fancy but a perfect "I'm feeling lazy" dinner that still tastes amazing.




Sweet and Sour Smoked Sausage
Serves 6 

1 package smoked sausage
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 green or red peppers, cut into strips
1 onion, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 cup snow or snap peas
4 cups cooked rice

Cut sausage into ½ inch slices. Cook in large skillet, over medium heat, until browned. Remove sausage and set aside.

Add pineapple chunks to skillet, cooking 3-4 minutes, or until slightly caramelized. Remove pineapple and set aside.

Add 1 tbsp. oil to skillet and allow to heat. Add in peppers and onions, cooking until desired tenderness is reached.

Return meat, pineapple, veggies, and add peas to skillet. Heat thoroughly, toss with sauce. Serve over rice. 

No comments :

Post a Comment