Saturday, November 10, 2012

Enchilada Sauce

Enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican dishes. I love how easy they are to make on a busy night.

I am guilty of buying the box kits because I prefer the "bag of sauce" over buying the metallic-tasting canned sauce. I never put a lot of thought into making my own enchilada sauce. I always figured it would be too time consuming, especially for my busy weeknights.

Boy was I wrong!




This simple recipe is modified slightly from Recipe Girl. It is delicious. Just the right amount of spices and the perfect consistency.



Enchilada Sauce

Prep time: 1 min.
Cook time: 20 min.
Total time: 21 min.
Yield: approx. 2 1/2 cups
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp. chili powder
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large skillet, combine butter and flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
  2. Stir in chili powder.
  3. Slowly whisk in remaining ingredients.
  4. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment