Saturday, October 13, 2012

Caramel Filled Mulled Apple Cider Cookies

I love fall.

There is nothing like waking up to the cool mornings that make it perfect for wrapping up in a blanket, hot drink in hand and reading on my porch swing. My type of morning.

The crisp air and smell of leaves makes me feel like turning on my oven and baking something delicious. Ok, so I  always feel like turning on my oven and baking something. But it is even more tempting to do so when it's only 57 degrees outside and I don't have to worry about turning my kitchen into a sauna.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this recipe from The Cooking Photographer. The cookies looked delicious. So I had to add the cider mix to my grocery list. This afternoon, I mixed up the cookies...so simple and so delicious. Definitely a recipe to keep around.








Caramel Filled Mulled Apple Cider Spiced Cookies

Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 40 min
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, nearly melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 5 packets Apline Spiced Apple Cider Instant Original Drink Mix (not sugar free)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 24 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. A rimless baking sheet is best to be able to slide the cookies off to cool.
  2. In the mixer, cream together butter, sugar, salt, and 5 packets of apple cider mix until smooth and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, then mix in the baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
  3. Scoop out the dough using a soup spoon. Using your hands, flatten the dough and place a caramel in the center. Wrap the dough around the caramel sealing well. Balls should be about 1 1/2inch in diameter. Place the cookies two inches apart on the sheets.
  4. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
  5. Slide the parchment with the cookies onto the counter top. Allow to cool until just slightly warm. Twist gently to remove.
  6. Best served warmed to soften caramel.

No comments :

Post a Comment