Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cherry Oven Pancake

I think I was 8 or 9 the first time my dad found a recipe in the Washington Post for "Puffy German Pancakes." My family has been eating them ever since. I love them because they bake for 20-30 minutes, the perfect amount of time for me to get ready for work while it's baking and puffing up into a delicate breakfast treat.

I know I found this recipe online a few years ago but have no idea where it came from. Like almost all my other recipes, I've changed it to my liking. I recommend using sweet cherries, however the original recipe called for tart cherries.







Cherry Oven Pancake with Cherry Syrup

Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 2/3 cup canned cherries, drained (reserve juice)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet in to heat.
  2. Combine flour, milk, eggs, and extract.
  3. Remove skillet from oven and melt the butter in it.
  4. Pour in pancake batter.
  5. Arrange cherries in skillet. Bake 15-20 minutes, until puffed and browned.
  6. Meanwhile, simmer reserved juice in a saucepan until thickened and has the consistency of a thin syrup. If desired, add a few tablespoons of sugar to the juice. Allow syrup to cool before serving.

No comments :

Post a Comment