Thursday, July 28, 2011

French Breakfast Puffs

Wow! Has it really been two weeks?

A trip to Myrtle Beach and then a trip to Ohio to visit my cousin who was visiting from England, now I'm exhausted. I'm unpacked, laundry is done, and my house is far from clean but that is a problem for another day.

This morning is the first time I've taken time to actually cook something for over two weeks. It is good to get back to a normal, healthy routine, even though I was spoiled letting my parents do the cooking while I was in Ohio. There is never anything quite like your momma's home cooking...

My breakfast this morning is a result of a Taste of Home cookbook that my parents picked up on sale ($2) at some point between Easter and now. My mother is still under the impression that I don't know how to cook and that I starve when I'm at my own place.

There looks to be TONS of delicious recipes in this book however, so I'll enjoy experimenting and trying out a bunch of new things. However since it's me, I started with the breakfast recipes. Most were slight variations on traditional pancakes and waffles...nothing too unique. Then I saw this recipe for French Breakfast Puffs...I don't truly think there is anything "French" about them but they were a tasty breakfast treat, for those NOT on a low calorie diet.





French Breakfast Puffs
Modified from Taste of Home Cookbook 2009

1/3 C Shortening
1 C Sugar, divided
1 Large Egg
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
1/2 C Milk
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
6 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted



Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, beat shortening, ½ cup of sugar and the egg until smooth.



Add in the baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.

Add the flour to the sugar mixture alternately with the milk.



Fill each cup of a greased mini-muffin tin two-thirds full. 



Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. These will not brown on top.



Cool for 5 minutes.

Combine the remaining ½ C sugar and the cinnamon in a shallow bowl.

Dip each puff into the melted butter, then roll in cinnamon-sugar mix.



Serve immediately. I found them to be a little dry, so I drizzled mine with a little maple syrup.

Alt: use a regular muffin tin for 12 larger puffs

1 comment :

  1. Ouh, it sounds just like my mummy: when I am far from home or cooking myself she seems convinced that I don't eat anything at all.. all the trust in her own cooking! :D
    I like your breakfast puffs. To be honest I am also quite breakfast-recipe-addict :) Being low-calorie is not the most important thing about breakfast. The deliciousness is - to start a new day in a fantastic way :)

    ReplyDelete