Friday, July 8, 2011

Flan-Style French Toast

I have slept all day.

I have had a HORRIBLE migraine.

I really thought my head might explode. I still think it might.

I needed comfort food.

I really wanted to just make a big pan of flan and eat the entire thing for dinner.

Then that nagging voice in the back of my head, that sounds surprisingly like my mother, reminded me that wouldn't be very healthy. So I turned it into Flan-French-Toast. It's always good to be able to combine 2 of your favorite things into one delicious dish!

I am fairly certain this has just become my new favorite breakfast dish. Even though I just made it for dinner.

It's just pure heaven!

Flan-Style French Toast (serves 2)




1 C Half and Half
3 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
6 Slices of Bread
1/3 C Sugar

Preheat the oven to 325.

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt the sugar until it becomes a golden amber color.


Pour the sugar into two 7 or 10 oz custard cups, or a small baking dish.


In a bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, and vanilla.


Add bread. Allow the bread to soak up as much of the liquid as possible. This should take about 5-10 minutes, depending on the bread.


Divide the bread between the two custard cups. (I did mine in a baking dish). Pour all the remaining liquid in too. If it isn't extremely soggy, add more half and half.


Place the custard cups into a baking dish. Fill the baking dish with approximately 1 inch of water.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour, or until fork inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven. Let rest for 15 minutes. Remove custard cups from the water. Slide a table knife around the edges and carefully invert onto a plate. The sugar will be very hot still.



To remove sugar from the dishes, just soak in warm water. It will dissolve in a few minutes.

1 comment :

  1. This combination is really an awesome one :) To be honest, I've never tried the real flan, but I would like to try it :) Gonna make flan-french-toasts any time soon. It's so goddamn hot here now! I wish of nothing except of relaxing myself in the swimming pool..

    Best greetings :)

    ReplyDelete