Tuesday, June 7, 2011

S'mores Popovers-A Good Breakfast for a Lazy Day

I was rudely awakened this morning. Cat toys should NOT have bells in them.

Since I was up an hour early, it meant I had time to invest in a more involved breakfast and indulge myself in a couple chapters of my book.

The best thing about popovers is that they need to bake for 20-30 minutes (or long if your oven is as worthless as mine), so it allows you time to get ready or just relax with a book. I chose to relax since I was not energetic enough to move.

Popovers are a mostly forgotten breakfast treat that have appeared in cookbooks as early as the 1780's. Those recipes call for the popovers to be cooked in "gem pans" that were available in a variety of shapes and sizes and made of cast iron. They cost a small fortune on ebay, both new and old ones. Muffin tins work exceptionally well to recreate this classic breakfast.

It is a slight adaptation of a basic pancake recipe, with the extra eggs causing the popovers to pop.

I needed a sugar rush to get moving. I took Joy's Hot Chocolate Popovers and turned them into S'mores Popovers.

Gooey toasted marshmallows, melty chocolate, graham crackers and more chocolate. Can it get any better?

S'mores Popovers
makes 12 popovers, serves 3

2 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
1 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 C Milk, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbs Sugar
2 1/2 Tbs Cocoa Powder
3/4 C + 2 Tbs All-Purpose Flour
3 Tbs Unsalted Butter
1/4 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
12 Large Marshmallows


Preheat oven to 400. Place a muffin pan into heat.

If your eggs are not room temperature, place them in a bowl of hot water to warm  up.


In a bowl combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour. Stir in eggs and melted butter.


Whisk in the milk in two parts. It will help reduce the lumps.



Whisk until just combined.



Remove hot muffin pan from the oven. Melt ¼ Tbs of butter into each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan. 



Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.



Bake for 20-30 minutes. No peaking or they will deflate!



Remove from oven and quickly place several chocolate chips and a marshmallow to the top of each popover.



Place under the broiler until the marshmallow is browned. Watch carefully to prevent burning. 



When I took them out of the oven, I put one part of a graham cracker into the gooey marshmallow (however I forgot to take a picture). I want to find some graham flour (not something easily located around here apparently) and try to make them with a graham flavored popover, chocolate chips and marshmallows. I think that will be delicious! However after going to 9 stores, I have yet to locate graham flour. FRUSTRATING! BLAH!

Serve as is, with syrup, or dust with powdered sugar. Yummy!

No comments :

Post a Comment