Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Creme Brulee French Toast

Yesterday was against me. I am bruised, sunburned, and I smashed my finger.

I needed comfort food. I needed to read and escape my world.

I made Creme Brulee French Toast.



I finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

I was not impressed with the ending of the book, I didn't feel like it actually ended anything. Everything was left hanging. Slow to start, great story line, horrible ending. Maybe the movie will be better...

I was highly impressed with the French Toast. Thanks to Smitten Kitchen for a great recipe!


Creme Brulee French Toast (serves 2)
6 Slices of Bread, 1 1/2 inches thick
1/3 C Whole Milk
1/2 C Heavy Cream
2 Large Egg
1 Egg Yolk
4 Tbs Sugar
3 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Orange Zest


Preheat oven to 325.


Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, and orange zest.



Arrange bread slices in a baking dish that allows just enough room for the bread, to ensure the custard mix is absorbed evening into the bread. Allow the bread to sit for 30 minutes, turning once.


Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. It will start to puff in the oven.



Turn the French Toast halfway through.



When the French Toast is cooked, turn off the oven, transfer the toast to the a serving dish or onto individual plates. Set aside or place in the oven to keep warm.

In a medium or small heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt 1/2 C Sugar.

Stirring constantly to allow for even melting of the sugar.



Remove from heat the moment it begins to turn a golden color. It will continue to cook and darken so you must work quickly.


Pour the hot sugar over the toast IMMEDIATELY. Allow the French Toast to cool a bit before serving. The sugar will be VERY HOT.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment