Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Daddy's Peach Cobbler

I was at Wal-Mart and they had the best smelling peaches. Maybe it was because it was the first ripe peaches of the season. Maybe it was just because I wanted something semi-healthy for dessert. Either way I came home with a lot of peaches. 




This is a fairly simple recipe that my dad has used for peach cobbler since I was little. Nothing fancy, just simple goodness. 


Daddy's Peach Cobbler
serves 6 (I cut the recipe in half since I didn't need to eat 6 servings by myself)


Filling
4 C Peaches, peeled and sliced (about 7 or 8 peaches)
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Tbs Cornstarch






Combine all the ingredients in a medium sauce pan.






Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil for 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased 2 quarter casserole dish.






Topping
1 C All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbs Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
Dash Salt
3 Tbs Unsalted Butter, chilled
1/2 C Half and Half
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
2 tsp Sugar


 Preheat oven to 400.

Combine flour, 2 Tbs sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in 3 Tbs of butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in cream and vanilla until all ingredients are moistened.



Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto peach mixture. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.

Serve warm with vanilla whipped cream.


No comments :

Post a Comment