Sunday, December 28, 2014

Old Fashioned Johnny Cakes

I am not sure why, but I have always been a fan of historical things...antiques, old books, living history re-enactments, 1800's architecture, and so much more. I am beginning to plan my dream house, modeled after an 1800's plantation. While being wrapped up in staring at Google Images of restored older homes, my inability to focus for long periods of time, I seem to constantly end up going off on tangents to everything else from that time era. Lately my new "go to" tangent has been antique cook books. With the internet, you can get vintage cook books with a few simple clicks, ready for reading on an e-reader. Technology is a wonderful thing!

Last night, my attention wandered in the direction of breakfast foods in a 1908 cook book. While looking at the pancake recipe, I noticed a "Indian Fritter" recipe that I had to try out once I put a little effort into modernizing it. I believe they are also called Johnny Cakes in the south, which for modern day purposes and the need to be politically correct, is what I will be referring to them as.


Johnny Cakes
serves 2-3

1 1/4 cup cornmeal (I prefer a coarse ground meal)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. bacon grease, melted butter, or oil
Oil for frying

In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add liquid ingredients, stirring from the inside outwards until well combined.

Cook in a preheated, well greased skillet (I like mine almost fried, with crispy edges, so I use a decent amount of oil in the skillet) until browned and surface is full of bubbles. Turn and cook until the second side is nicely browned. Serve warm with butter and syrup.







No comments :

Post a Comment