Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Homemade Funnel Cakes

What is it about fair food that brings even the most nutrition conscience people to their knees?

Don't judge. I ate a funnel cake for breakfast. I put blueberries on it though. So it was good for me.

I started 2015 with 1 simple resolution, to make a move towards eating better food. While a funnel cake is far from a healthy choice, I made it with all organic, farm fresh ingredients. So it still keeps me on track for my resolution.



Funnel Cakes
Makes 4
modified from Paula Deen

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
oil for frying

Heat oil either in a deep fryer or a cast iron skillet. Make sure that oil is at least 2 inches deep. Heat to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients. Stir, starting from the center working outwards until well combined.

(I highly recommend getting a squeeze bottle to use for this.) Pour batter into a funnel or into a squeeze bottle.

Squeeze into hot oil, starting in the center and spiraling outward. Once it begins to float, using tongs, to push it back down so that it is submerged in the oil. If you cannot submerge it, you'll have to flip it over.

It will only take 2-3 minutes to cook each funnel cake. Remove when nicely browned.

Serve with fruit compote, powdered sugar, or your choice of topping.




No comments :

Post a Comment