Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pumpkin Crepes

Growing up, I was never a fan of pumpkin. That is mostly because once a year my mom bought a can of pumpkin puree and turned it into a pumpkin pie, using store-bought pie crust. To this day I still dislike traditional pumpkin pie.

Until the pumpkin spice latte crazy began, I had no use for pumpkin anything. Even though it is a challenge to find pumpkin recipes I actually enjoy, there are several now that I make every fall. Pumpkin crepes is one of those. These are simple to make and taste delicious. However I am at a loss of what to fill them with.

Several recipes I have viewed filled pumpkin crepes with either a pumpkin cream cheese filling or use pumpkin pie filling. I tried the pumpkin cream cheese filling, I didn't like it. It tasted like pumpkin pie.

I just drizzled mine with caramel syrup and topped it with some whipped cream. If you have a delicious filling for pumpkin crepes, please let me know!




Pumpkin Crepes
Serves 4-6

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 tbsp. sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients, whisking well to remove any lumps. Allow the batter to rest for 5-10 minutes.

Heat a crepe skillet or medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat. Depending on your skillet size, add enough batter to barely cover the bottom of the skillet, swirling the skillet to evenly distribute the batter. For my skillets (about 9-inch skillets), this takes about 1/4 cup of batter.

Cook until top appears set and bottom is lightly browned. Flip and cook second side for a few moments (this takes less than a minute).

Serve with your choice of toppings and/or fillings.

No comments :

Post a Comment