Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Salted Caramel Sauce

It's been one of those days. Most days I love my job and working with children is an amazing experience. Not so much today. Let me tell you. Four year olds can be VIOLENT. Not just mean, down right violent.

Today, I dodged chairs flying at my head, broke up fist fights, and have teeth marks in my arm. I also had my death described to me in detail while trying to convince a 4 year old to just lay still on her cot at nap time.

Today I deserve the Redbox movie I rented, the pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked, and the pizza that I picked up on my way home. Even though it is filled with brownies and cookie dough, it just wasn't enough to erase my day, it needed more. So I whipped up a small batch of salted caramel sauce to pour all over it.

Salted Caramel Sauce can improve anybody's bad day. You. Must. Try. It.




Salted Caramel Sauce
(makes approximately 3/4 cup)
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. fleur de sel or other flaky sea salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Place the sugar and water in a large sauce pan.
  2. Heat over medium heat until sugar just reaches a caramel color.
  3. Add in butter. Swirl until melted. Lower the heat.
  4. Stir in lemon juice and cream, stirring continuously until smooth.
  5. Stir in salt.
  6. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  7. Can be stored in the fridge for a week, reheat when ready to use again. (keeps for up to 2 weeks)

No comments :

Post a Comment