Saturday, December 7, 2013

Salted Honey Pie

This is one of those pies that I had very little initial interest in making. I saw it in the beginning on November on Flavor NC. It sounded good but way too sweet for me.

Then an acquaintance that I know started texting me about this pie. I heard about this pie for close to two weeks. I received numerous pictures of disastrous pies that he made in attempt to copy what was on Flavor NC. Finally late one night I get a text asking me to try it. Just to see if I could make it. The next morning I make the pie.

I follow the directions, viola! I make a pie.




This is not something I'd make very often, if ever again. It was good but even with the salt to contrast against the sweetness, it was just too sweet for my taste. I liked it better with whipped cream than I did the salt. Maybe I should have used a lighter honey. On hand all I had was a very dark, flavorful honey that I adore in a hot cup of tea or drizzled over oatmeal. I do not recommend it for this pie. If I make it again I will go with a much lighter honey.

After texting my not-so-mentally-stable acquaintance the picture of the pie, he flipped out.  I receive a few texts about how I lied to him and changed the recipe. Then after ignoring those, I get ones saying that I burnt it. (It is very dark from the dark honey I had on hand). Ignoring this guy is kind of like trying to ignore a cat. The more you ignore them, the more known they like to make themselves.

Then I proceeded to get these rather odd texts the rest of the day. I find them hysterical.





It's been about a week, the messages are still cracking me up as I post them. I have received more absurd messages in this past week. He doesn't know when to stop.

Anyways, here is the recipe for the pie.

Honey Pie
Makes one 9inch pie

1 stick butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp. cornmeal
1/4 tsp. salt
6 oz honey (I'd recommend a light, not too flavorful honey)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Sea Salt
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together melted butter, sugar, cornmeal, salt and honey. Whisk in eggs, cream, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake for 30-45 minutes. (Original recipe called for 20-30 min but mine was no where near done). Edges should be set and center should have the slightest jiggle to it.

Sprinkle with sea salt before serving. (Although I preferred it with whipped cream instead of salt).

No comments :

Post a Comment