Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mexican Rice Pudding

When I get depressed I don't want to eat but I cook. My kitchen is full of cookies, quick breads, and pudding type dishes.

Yes all of those are plural. There are oatmeal raisin cookies, oatmeal-red currant cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies, banana nut bread, banana blueberry bread, tapioca, Persian rice pudding, and a Mexican rice pudding.

They all look beautiful. I'm sure they taste delicious too, I just have no appetite to eat them.

Tomorrow will make 10 months since my fiance died. 10 months since my entire world fell apart. 10 months of hell. There isn't a day that goes by that my heart doesn't ache, that tears don't roll down my cheeks wishing he would walk into my door, like nothing at all has happened. I want my miracle. I don't deserve it, but I want my happily ever after. And I want it with the love of my life.

Ok, enough depressing.

This was a recipe that Joseph brought home one day for me to make for some of his employees.



Arroz con Dulce
Serves 8
1 1/2 cup medium grain rice (I used long grain and it worked fine too)
6 whole cloves
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt
1 can (15.5 oz) Cream of Coconut
1/2 cup raisins

Soak rice in water for 1 hour, drain.

In a large sauce pan, combine 4 cups of water, cloves, ginger, cinnamon stick, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The longer you boil it, the stronger the flavors will be.

Discard the spices but reserve the water. Stir the cream of coconut into the reserved water. Bring to a boil. Add rice and raisins. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.

Serve cold with whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon.

No comments :

Post a Comment