Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie

I have a problem. When I walk into a grocery store, it is similar to a kid walking into a candy store.

I've gone grocery shopping with friends before. We walk along the isles and like the typical American, my friends will stop and stare at the 50 variety of cookies, trying to decide what it is that they want to munch on this week. I however by-pass the store bought cookies, breeze through the 25 flavors of Pop Tarts, and spend my time staring at the different spices and herbs.

I get weird looks from the people trying to grab the standard jar of cinnamon while I'm just standing there staring, trying to decide what I could make with this spice or that herb. I've been known to laugh at people who actually buy the pre-mixed cinnamon and sugar. (Really people, it's just cinnamon and sugar, you can make it at home and save a little money!)  My friends don't go to the grocery store with me much anymore.

To try to save time and to avoid the annoyed looks while I stand in the way of the typical American consumer who doesn't know what to do with all the things in the little glass jars, I discovered  Penzey's, a company that sells some amazing spices that are very hard to find, especially at such affordable prices.

As I was staring at the catalog, reading all the different variety of spices, I came across a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie.

I love cookie dough, so much so when I set out to make chocolate chip cookies, it rarely results in cookies.

This pie turned out AMAZING. It is like eating cookie dough in pie crust.





Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie
9 inch deep dish-pie crust, unbaked
1/2 cup (slightly heaping) flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 slightly heaping cup chocolate chips (resist the urge to add more)


Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats and sugars. (Use a quick oats that are fairly small in size, if not you'll notice it in the finished pie. You can always pulse your oats a few seconds in a food processor to turn them almost to flour-like consistency.)

Add the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.

Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into pie crust. Bake for 35 minute for a "chewy cookie" or 40-45 for a well-done cookie.

I brushed the top of my pie with 2 tsp. dark corn syrup mixed with 2 tsp water and then microwaved for about 10 seconds to thin it down. It gives the top and the crust a nice golden color.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment